Thursday, April 28, 2005

"I'll meet you in the air"

Her lyrics are awesome. Just awesome.
When I pulled into that college campus last night, I was hit by a flood of nostalagia. That was the first cool part of the evening. Kids walking around with backpacks and books. That was me ten years ago. Ten years ago. And sometimes it seems like last week.
While I waited for Natalie I sat on a bench just outside the chapel and watched the students stroll by, some of them hand-in-hand and some of them rushing to get to their evening classes. I couldn't stop thinking that I wish I had been as confident in college as I am today. But I guess confidence comes with years and experience and wisdom.
Then Natalie arrived and after a quick hug we went into the chapel. It was small inside but it was packed to the gills. Then Sara Groves started to sing. And her words rocked me to the core. Her songs are so real. Her experiences are so real. She talked about how anxious and anal she is about her two little boys, and how she's thought of loading water guns with antibacterial hand wash and pelting their friends with it as they approach her boys. I'm storing that one in the ol' memory bank. : )
I bought two Sara Groves CD's last night and can't stop listening to them.
And Natalie. God knew I needed a friend like her in my life. His joy just overflows from her. At one point during the concert she got up from her chair and walked to the back of the chapel, and she stood there and raised her hands to heaven because she is so thankful for what God has done in her heart. When she sat back down she said, "I just couldn't sit down for that song. I know I'm weird." She has a bold faith that I envy.
Last night was fantastic. I needed it. I needed the inspiration from Natalie and the fresh reminders from Sara Groves. I needed the tears that came when Sara talked about how faithful God is.
And to think I hadn't really wanted to go.
Thank you, God, for leading me there.

"Morning by morning I wake up to find
The power and comfort of God's hand in mine.
Season by season I watch Him amazed,
In awe of the mystery of His perfect ways.
All I have need of, His hand will provide.
He's always been faithful to me.

I can't remember a trial or a pain
He did not recycle to bring me gain.
I can't remember one single regret
In serving God only and trusting His hand.
All I have need of, His hand will provide.
He's always been faithful to me.

This is my anthem, this is my song,
The theme of the story I've heard for so long.
God has been faithful, He will be again.
His loving compassion, it knows no end.
All I have need of, His hand will provide.
He's always been faithful.
He's always been faithful.
He's always been faithful to me."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sounds like you had a lovely time. I will have to try and find a Sara Groves cd and share in your inspiration. I just hope she didn't use the word "anal" anywhere on her cd, it would defeat the purpose.

Love,
Paperclip

11:22 AM  
Blogger Mo said...

Hey Wenz! I'm glad to hear that you've found such a good friend (and inspiration) in Natalie; its tough when you first move to a new area, but made less tough by good friends near by!

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wendy Im glad you had a great time! :0)

12:14 PM  
Blogger d_evans said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time Wendy! I'm so happy that you are happy!

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home